The replacement of fossil fuels must be from renewable sources of which, thankfully, there is an abundance in Dorset – onshore and offshore wind, wave, tidal, solar and biomass. The Centre for Alternative Technology and other organisations have produced a report (Zero Carbon Britain or ZCB) that asserts precisely as the title indicates. A parallel report (Zero Carbon Dorset or ZCD) is currently exploring the implications of achieving the same result for the county. The main feature of ZCB is that there needs to be a drastic reduction in the use of energy – a ‘powering down’ of 60%, to enable the remaining 40% to be provided by renewable sources – a ’powering up’. The reduction needs to come from the use of buildings, heating, hot water, cooking, lighting and appliances, from industry and from all forms of transport.

Showing 2 from 2 Items

Sort by: